Building a Shared Understanding of Equity Work in the Context of City Government
• Purpose: To build a shared understanding of what equity work means in the context of local government, why it is important, and how to embed a framework that reduces inequities.
• Outcome: A shared understanding will allow us to lay the groundwork for a thoughtful, intentional, multi-year process of systems change that will improve outcomes for all.
Introductory Grounding in San Jose’s History (Stephen Pitti)
2. Equity: Why it Matters? Why Race?
• The Role of Government (Julie Nelson)
• The Role of Elected Officials (Leon Andrews)
3. Shared Language: Terminology and Definitions
• Racial inequity and racial equity
• Explicit and implicit bias
• Individual, institutional and structural racism
4. Governments Role and Responsibility
• Local government commitments and examples from Government Alliance on Race and Equity, and Race, Equity and Leadership
• Preview of other city government efforts
5. Next Steps
• Public Comment