At the first Community Meeting on September 2, 2021, the City of San Jose’s Housing Department staff provided an overview of the process and asked attendees to share their thoughts on housing needs, issues, goals, and priorities.
The second meeting will focus on Fair Housing – the concepts, requirements, analyses completed to date, and next steps. “Fair Housing” refers to policies and actions that prevent discrimination, expand choices, and address racial and economic disparities in housing. It involves both increasing investment in underserved communities and fostering inclusive neighborhoods throughout the city.
Fair Housing is a new and required focus of every city’s Housing Element in California. We are preparing an Assessment of Fair Housing Plan in parallel to updating the Housing Element. The work builds upon initial findings shared with City Council in June 2021.
Join us to learn about this work and share your thoughts. We are particularly interested in hearing about experiences with Fair Housing issues. Community input will inform the analyses and policies included in the Housing Element Update and the related Assessment of Fair Housing Plan.
This meeting will include a presentation, with breakout sessions to talk with City staff. Spanish and Vietnamese language interpretation will be available.
Please help us get the word out about this important opportunity to learn, share, and connect with each other.
- Event flyer in English, Spanish, and Vietnamese
- City’s Housing Element Update webpage
- City’s Fair Housing webpage
- Previous and upcoming engagement opportunities for the Housing Element and Assessment of Fair Housing
- Initial Assessment of Fair Housing findings shared with City Council in June 2021
- State of California’s Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing page